Hi, folks! Today, I wanted to share some exciting news. Basically, I’ve been invited by the British Council Latvia office on a last minute press trip ahead of London Book Fair in April. The Baltic will be the market focus countries and this will also coincide with the Latvian Centenary celebrations in the UK in 2018.
So the long and the short of it is that I’ll be heading to Riga in Latvia for a three day event between the 7th and the 9th March in which I’ll be, and I quote, “given an insider’s view of the contemporary Latvian literature.” Over thirty Latvian authors are being published in the UK in 2018, which is quite the achievement considering that the Latvian speaking and writing population consists of 1.3 million people.
You can find out more about Nora Ikstena, Inga Abele, Luize Pastore, Karlis Verdinš, and some of the other authors who’ll be representing Latvia at London Book Fair by clicking here. I’ll be going along to LBF myself and so I’m looking forward to paying them a visit there, too! You can get tickets for that over here.
Just a few highlights of the press trip include:
- Welcome Presentation: Latvia by Latvian Institute
- National Library of Latvia, tour
- Presentation: Contemporary Latvian Literature
- Guided city tour
- Presentation: Latvian Literature (Inga, Juta, Anete) – Latvian authors @LBF and UK 2018
- Latvian Literature (Una) – #IAMINTROVERT campaign
- Dinner (with Latvian authors and translators)
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia – guided tour
- Presentation: Contemporary children’s literature, meeting with illustrators
- Presentation: Book market in Latvia
- Meet&greet with publishers
- Dinner (with UK Embassy & British Council/& Brits in Latvia)
- Guided tour Alternative Riga
- Meeting Orbita group, Riga-based Latvian Russian-speaking poets
- Book opening
- Local beer tasting with author/brewer
I will of course be blogging about all of this and posting about it on social networking sites, so be sure to follow both my personal social media accounts (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram) and SocialBookshelves.com’s social media accounts (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram) for updates throughout the trip.
Depending upon how much free time I have whilst I’m in Latvia, I’ll either be posting individual blog posts and videos each day or I’ll be keeping you up-to-date on social networking sites and giving you one big wrap up at the end. Make sure you head over to my BookTube channel and subscribe to that so you don’t miss the videos!
I’m super excited (who wouldn’t be?) to be getting involved in this opportunity, but I’m also stoked about introducing you to guys to all of the amazing Latvian literature that you’ll want to get stuck into. I can’t wait to report back with what I’ve learned!